In light of Rep. John Lewis’s recent remarks on Twitter eulogizing the recently deceased Sen. John McCain as a “warrior for peace”, there’s no better time to read up on the few recent pieces on the Internet that actually put the late P.O.W.’s life and legacy into perspective. And while it’s understandable that when one passes people tend to focus on the more positive aspects of their character, calling one of the Senate’s biggest war-hawks who never met a war he didn’t like “a warrior for peace” is not just stretching the truth, it’s absolute blasphemy. So without further ado, here are the internet’s most truthful John McCain obituaries.
“I hate the gooks,”Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) doubled down when asked on the 2000 presidential campaign trail about his continued use of the racist slur for Vietnamese people. “I will hate them as long as I live.”
In the mind of the settler-colonialist, the white invader is always the victim and the people he invades, occupies, expels or exterminates are always the
aggressors, going all the way back to the Native American genocide. McCain was never able to understand that in Vietnam, as in just about everywhere else they went, Americans were the invaders, not the victims. Even as McCain deserves praise and perhaps even admiration for the manner in which he endured the unendurable while imprisoned in Vietnam, we conveniently forget what he was doing when he was shot down over Hanoi. That day, US warplanes were bombing and strafing a light bulb factory in the densely populated capital, where thousands of innocent men, women and children were being killed by relentless American aerial attacks.
Among the other things the “warrior for peace” backed and supported noted in the article:
- ”bombing Iraq’s water purification plants during the first Gulf War”
- donating money to the Contra death squads in Nicaragua who mutilated people, cut the breasts off of women and cut the tongues out of men
- the NATO/ terrorist-led overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, though he previously promised to help Gaddafi acquire weapons of mass destruction
- decades-long war-mongering against Iran, even famously singing “bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran” on the campaign trail. Such a gleeful “warrior for peace”!
- his push for armed confrontation with Russia, as well as his support for war on Syria and his pivotal role in the coup in Ukraine (where he allied with neonazis)
- his clear “disdain for women” and unabashed sexism, going so far as to call his wife Cindy a “cunt” on the campaign trail
- ”vehemently opposed the national Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, a popular move in a state known for its racism but a shock to millions of Americans who watched McCain vote against the holiday even after President Ronald Reagan finally approved it.”
- ”voted dozens of times against funding for veterans’ health care and other crucial services” and voting against a bill that would cover the medical needs of 9/11 first responders. His voting record in this regard earned him a 2 out of 10 rating from the Disabled American Veterans.