Darrin Manning requires emergency surgery on genitals
By Ethan Jury
JANUARY 18, 2014
Darrin Manning, a 16-year-old high school basketball player was brutally assaulted by police Jan. 7 in Philadelphia, receiving emergency surgery on his genitals following the arrest.
Manning had been walking to a basketball game with his entire team, wearing hats and scarves given to them by their principal to protect them from the cold, when they were approached by police, sending the group running—all except Manning, who felt he had done nothing wrong.
Police allege that they had observed a group of males covering their faces with ski masks but this is clearly another case of racist profiling by police that has become a common theme throughout the country.
Manning was stopped by a police officer who alleges that he then became violent, but the arresting officer reported no injuries. Manning was then assaulted by a female officer who violently patted him down, grabbing his buttocks and then squeezing his genitals so hard that one of his testicles ruptured.
“She patted me down and then she touched my butt and then my private parts,” he said. “And then she grabbed and squeezed and pulled my private parts and I felt something pop.” (Philly.com)
What happened to Manning is an outrage. The supposed purpose of the police is to “protect and serve” the people, but all over the country poor communities and people of color are routinely terrorized by highly armed police forces. In actuality, the police protect and serve the interests of the wealthy capitalist class.
The people of Philadelphia need to organize against this injustice! In New York and California communities and families victimized by police brutality have joined in fierce fight back movements against terror by racist police departments. Recent victories such as the near reversal of the notorious Stop and Frisk practice in New York shows the value of uniting in struggle.
We need to organize and fight back against this epidemic of police brutality. No more children from our communities should become the victims of vicious cops!
– End all curfew and stop-and-frisk practices!
– Jail the cops responsible for Manning’s assault!
– Community control over the police!
- Footage of racist Philly cops goes viral – Salon.com
- Philly Officer’s Facebook Comments on Black Teens Spark Controversy – NBC
- Communities Enraged After Black Boy Sexually Assaulted During Stop-and-Frisk – PhillyinFocus.com
- Philadelphia Mothers Say Their Children Being Treated Unfairly By Phila. DA – CBS
- Protesters demand release of Philly teen arrested in blind neighbor’s home invasion – Philly.com